Fine 18th and 19th Century Furniture,
Paintings and Accessories
Lois Boyles & Richard Totoiu ~ StudioAntiques@comcast.net
Tunbridge Ware Trinket Box in rosewood having sides decorated in a band of Berlin woolwork floral pattern with a veneered lid and raised on bun feet.
5.5" x 3.5" x 2.25" tall
Antique Carved Ivory Riding Crop in the form of a horse’s head and a sterling silver collar with the face of a fox. American, circa 1870.
Fine George II Tilt-top Tea Table in mahogany having a single board top with a "birdcage" support above a "cannon" turned shaft and supported by three cabriole legs ending in pad feet. English, circa 1750.
The serving of tea in the 18th Century was an important social ritual for those wealthy enough to be able to afford the tea. Specialized furniture and boxes (tea caddies) evolved around the "tea ceremony"
Fine antique English supper table in mahogany, having
a circular, carved tilt top
above a turned pillar and
raised on cabriole legs with
acanthus carved knees and
pad feet. Circa 1840-60.
Height, open: 28”
Two 1/2 gallon stoneware jugs from Alexandria Virginia, made at the Wilkes Street Pottery by Benedict C. Milburn, circa 1865: One with his stamp and "Alexa" the other with the stamp of the merchant E.J. Miller who had a ceramics shop on lower King Street. Height of each: 8"
Antique French Tole Oil Lamp with yellow ground and black stencil decoration of Soldiers and Napoleon on Horseback. The burner is stamped "LUCHAIRE" for Leon Luchaire, Paris. Circa 1870, now wired for electricity.
Height to top of burner: : 9"
Fine Large Edwardian Serving Tray in mahogany and satinwood; oval with brass
hand-holds and scalloped bellflower inlay and central
shell inlaid pattera. Circa 1890. Provenance: From the Estate
of Joseph Stanley.
FinePair of Italian Grand Tour Bronze Candlesticks with nicely detailed foliate decoration and with good patina and fine castings. Having a removable ormolu drip pan above a bronze candle cup and supported by a turned and foliate decorated column with a tripartite scrolling ormolu base and mounted on a tripartite bronze plinth. These would have been brought home as a souvenir by someone who had made the Grand Tour. Italy, circa 1870.
Rare set of four Rockingham ware furniture lifts, of typical lion’s paw form. Probably English, late 19th century. (very minor chips)
These were used to protect the feet of furniture where the floor was damp.
Provenance: Kay Fries, Alexandria, VA
Rare 18th century Pear-form Tea Caddy in fruitwood,
having a hinged lid opening
to a foil lined interior, steel escutcheons and a replaced
carved wood stem. English
Height: 7 ”
Small Tumbridge Ware Trinket Box in Rosewood having a hinged lid inlayed with a display of roses depicted in micro mosaic, framed by bandings of contrasting light and dark wood and particularly well matched geometric micro mosaic.
4.35" x 2.8" x 1.5" tall
Fine antique Chinese copper red porcelain vase; of baluster form and with applied handles. Mid 19th Century, now wired as a lamp. (Repair to lip)
Height 12.75" to lip
Fine George III Bow Front Bedside Table in mahogany, having a galleried top above a shaped, tambour door and a later drawer and raised on straight chamfered leg.
English, Circa 1780. (Repair cracks to side panels)
Depth : 17.75"
Fine English Chippendale bombe-form tea chest in nicely figured mahogany veneer over deal, the stepped rectangular lid with brass carrying handle. Circa 1760. (key). (See Clark and O’Kelly, “Antique Boxes, Tea Caddies and Society”, Figure 304 for a related example.)
Antique American Mahogany Tilt-top Table, the single board round top supported on a pillar of tapering shaft, urn and rings; the legs with plain knees ending in simple pad feet; the lower edges of the pillar and knees attractively scalloped; the overall form typical of Massachusetts.
In the 18th Century, both here and in England, the centers of your public rooms were left empty when not in use (except for your "Turkey Rug")...
French, 19th century, Samson. The crossed “S” marks on the interior lid of this nineteenth-century snuff box indicates that this was, in fact, a product of the Samson factory. Edmé Samson founded the House of Samson in 1845 to decorate porcelain. However, it was Edmé’s son, Emile, who expanded the firm to include the reproduction of eighteenth-century English enamels...
Alexandria Virginia Stoneware Canning Jar by Potter B.C. Milburn, ca. 1847-1867: undecorated, quart size with a flared collar, stamped: "B.C. MILBURN"
Benedict C. Milburn came to Alexandria from St. Mary’s County to apprentice with a potter, as did his predecessor at Wilkes Street, John Swann. Milburn may have worked at Wilkes Street with Swann as early as 1822...
Tall 18th century pierced brass and wrought iron fireplace trivet with original turned wood handle. Circa 1780-1800. American or English.